I have been visiting my sister in law who has 3 children and I decided to make a list of indoor and outdoor activities to do with the kids during the summer. These ideas are also perfect for winter when it is too cold for outdoor actvities. Check out these Indoor Activities for Children and have some fun with it. PIN IT on Pinterest here!
Make sure you check out the outdoor activities post as well! It is coming very soon :)
Indoor Activities @ Home
1. Bean Bag Toss – Cut some holes in a Cardboard Presentation board and throw some beanbags through
2. Insect Lore Kits – Watching Caterpillars become Butterflies or Ant life, this will entertain the whole family
3. Make a Fort – Who doesn’t love making a fort?! I still enjoy this
4. Movie/Netflix Pajama Day – Curl up and catch up on some good cartoons
5. Puzzles & Board Games – Small ones or big ones, easy or hard. This is always a great activity to do together. I spent a summer when I was in middle school working on a puzzle with my grandparents and it is now hanging in my guest room
6. Reading & Coloring – One summer when my siblings were in middle school I got 3 copies of The Giver and we all took turns reading pages. It was one of the funnest memories!
7. Legos – Big or small, everyone loves Legos
8. Train Set – My nieces have a wooden train set and absolutely love it
9. Playdoh – If you don’t want to buy it, you can even make it yourself at home with a few common ingredients
10. Cleaning – Children actually can love cleaning if you make it something fun you do together!
11. Baking/Cooking – If you are making a pie, breakfast, lunch, dinner, find things that the kids can help make too!
12. Photoshoots – Dress your children up in themed outfits or dress up clothes and take some fun photos, my nieces love doing this but even more love seeing the pictures right after I take them
13. Dress up – My sister and I used to always play dress up with my mom’s old work clothes that she didn’t wear anymore. Loved it!
14. Recycling Old Crayons – This is an awesome indoor activity to do and you can use all the broken and small pieces of crayons you have laying around from the school year
15. Puppet Show – Cut a big square opening in a Cardboard Presentation board, add some fabric and decorate your puppet show set!
16. Make something out of Puffy Paint – I love this stuff, and it is so neat looking when it dries. You can make anything out of it
17. Learn how to Crochet – I have a Learning To Crochet Video Series for beginners teaching the basics to crochet, for FREE! :) Take advantage and spread the word.
18. Learn to play an instrument – I played the violin in 5th grade and then gave up, get your children in lessons if they are interested, or learn to play a new instrument together
19. Egg Carton Crafts – So many things you can make from egg cartons, just google it and you’ll find a million ideas :)
Indoor Activities – Outside of the Home
20. Barnes & Noble – Reading time or train table
21. Toys R Us– Browsing for birthday or just for fun! Also, check out their clearance items for great games at affordable prices
22. Petco or PetSmart – Look at all the animals, just try not to get one each time you go :)
23. Bowling – Gutter guards are awesome, need I say more? Anyone can bowl with those things
24. Roller Skating – We always had these parties when I was in middle school
25. Mall or McDonald’s – Toy Area, make sure to take your hand sanitizer (haha!)
26. Library – Story time, rent books, meet some friends there & enjoy
27. Movie Theater – Many theaters will offer free showings of older movies in the mornings during the summer
28. Aquarium – Children love to see all of the creatures in the water (and adults, too!)
29. Science or Children’s Museum – We don’t have one of these close, but they are worth taking a trip for!
30. Trampoline Park – These are new and upcoming, I see these popping up everywhere (no pun intended)
31. Indoor Playground – These usually cost a couple dollars, but worth the money when it’s really hot or cold outside
32. Open gym @ Gymnastics Facility – Even if you aren’t into gymnastics, there are a lot of fun things that you can play with here!
33. Frozen Yogurt – These places are awesome. Fun for kids since they get to pick their flavor and toppings (and healthier than ice cream)
34. Arcade – Want to play some neat games but get out of the house? Check out the arcade near you for endless fun
35. Laser Tag – If your children are old enough, this is such a fun indoor activity for the whole family to enjoy
DONWLOAD THE PDF LIST of Indoor Children Activities Here for your PERSONAL USE.
Make and decorate a “Bored Board” and add these ideas to it! :)Make sure to follow Katie's Crochet Goodies on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram, or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.